Friday, November 23, 2007

An Irish Thanksgiving

Hello all,



I see that Emmett has already written about our exciting adventures together last weekend, so I don't need to go into that, except to say, here and now, that Emmett has said he owes me dinner senior year. It's in writing now; it's official, since he is bailing out on his chance to cook for me when I go to Oxford because he is going to Paris with Chris. :-(



I was full of trepidation about spending Thanksgiving away from my family for the first time EVER, but it turned out okay. My favorite roommate left for Amsterdam on Wednesday, so I thought I was going to be doubly lonely, but one of the American guys that lives next door had his parents visiting, and they QUITE generously offered to cook a nice turkey dinner for all of the family-less Americans. All in all, there were 21 people crammed in one apartment. It was intense. I, of course, brought forth the Idaho pride and provided mashed potatoes. So, not a bad Thanksgiving overall. I even found football (U.S. style) on TV! (Ooh, side note. Apparently Irish people also call "European football" soccer. They have their own sport called Gaelic football, and I suppose that 3 versions of football was too much for them to handle.)



Today I wandered downtown to look at the Christmas lights (very pretty, even though they haven't turned all of them on yet) and finally get started on my souvenir shopping for my family. It is officially Christmas season! That, coupled with the fantastic cold and joy that shopping brings me, put me in a good mood, the one I usually associate with Christmas. :-)



Tomorrow my friend Doug is coming to visit for a few days, and I'm very excited about that. Next weekend I am going to visit Andrea at Oxford, and we are going to see Wicked in London!!!! Prediction: Andrea and I will be hard pressed not to sing along to all of the songs.



I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I miss you terribly.

Love,
Anna

No comments: