Sunday, November 18, 2007

Pas de francais

Well, this week was insane. I'm so tired today. I'm definitely not ready to take on another week. I need another weekend. School was long this week. I have a paper for all my classes that was either due this week or is due the next. I hate writing and the fact that it's all in French doesn't help.....

But on a more fun note, I finally went out of my French speaking region. I ventured into Bern and got earfuls of Swiss German which made me feel really lost and confused as to how in the world I was supposed to get food anywhere because my German consists of nothing and even if I could speak haut dutch it wouldn't have made too much difference to the Swiss. Wandering through some of the street markets I'd catch a handful of French every now in then and was glad to hear that 'cause it felt like home. I did manage to somewhat communicate and in buying myself this dang awesome hat. I must say it was funny though because I went with an English speaking friend and we spoke in English to each other, but whenever confronted by the others we would switch into French, although we realized our English would probably be understood more than our French, oh well.

In Bern, we went to the Einstein museum. It was dang sweet and worth the high toll that they exact out of you for entry. I was sad I didn't know German because although the exhibit was in German, French and English all of Einstein's notes and papers were in German. It would have been fun to understand them besides the occasional math formula. My friend (completely non-math orientied) gave me such a strange look when I tried to explain my excitement over the law of sines that I kept the rest of my math and physic joys to myself. It was too bad she didn't want to discuss red shifts and relativity.... Other than that we placed tourist and took a lot of random pictures and saw the other stuff in the city, but it was so dang cold. In feranheit (I'm getting used to Celcius, it's getting hard for me to think of regular temperatures, 1 is just easier than 37) is was 26 degrees out and I've decided winter is not the best season to go exploring, although I'll undoubtably do it some more. But it was an amazing train ride home because seriously all of the country looks like a postcard. And with the alps in the background all covered in snow that look fake because they are too pretty and too perfect (although most of the time there's too many clouds to see them) I don't know what could be better.

No comments: