Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Ein Wochenende in Irland

Anna visits Munich last weekend and gets to play tourist in our adopted city. This past weekend Molly and I get to repay the favor for three nights. Head over Friday morning and wake up bleeding early Monday morning, only to wait an additional two hours in the airport because a replacement crew member needed to be flown in from Dublin.

First up, Cork and Ireland and general impressions of such. Cork and Ireland, in their great similarities to Spokane and the United States, provided a break from Munich, Germany and not merely through the language. Yes, I have been greatly enjoying the urbanity and cosmopolitan nature of Munich and the related opportunities to see my first opera and ballet, but it can be overwhelming, too far removed from my past experiences. Getting into Cork and seeing streets lined with stores that I could actually afford to shop at was a relief in some ways. There was such a sense of vitality in the streets too. When we went out in the evenings, whether on a pub crawl (Tried two different stouts over two nights. Absolutely vile drinks that were a struggle to finish. Also the awareness that bars packed to capacity and blaring music that forced you to shout though the person you want to talk with is next to you are not my place was strongly reinforced) or whatever, the sidewalks were full of passing groups families and groups, very rarely plugged into their iPods or talking on cellphones.

Saturday, we went to Killeagh at my request. Hearing that I was going to Ireland for the weekend, a cousin of my mother's sent me a list of names of distant family who still might be around Killeagh, the town my Irish relatives swarmed out from. Looking for the relatives was a bust. Talked to random strangers, visited the post office and looked through the baptism register of the local church, all to no avail. Still, despite that particular failure and Molly and Anna's need to repeat "Kill-a Queen" every half hour, I liked Killeagh. A lot like my hometown in Baudette, small and the people knew each other. In the cemetery, I spoke with a couple, and they pointed me towards some people who knew the O'Neills and McCarthys, general directions and all. After totally missing the turn, I knocked at a random house, and they were able to set us on the right path again. Another benefit of visiting Killeagh? We got to see the countryside. Get to miss that living in Munich coming on two months, and it was the Irish countryside, which has its own undeniable charm.

We made our way over to Blarney Castle and its famed stone on Sunday. It's a huge tourist attraction and has some small notoriety as the "most photographed building in Ireland." Kind of wary of that at the beginning, but I really did enjoy the visit. Avoided kissing the stone because I hear that the locals whiz on it regularly (and a morning washing is definitely not enough to make me want to put my lips on it), but the castle was cool, had a very different feel from those I have visited in Germany. The grounds were absolutely great. Ireland has a pretty strong tradition of mythology, and it is not difficult to understand why after seeing that place. The rock formations and caves and thick brush were something out of a fairytale or Lord of the Rings.

Taking it easier for the rest of the month. Heading over to Heidelberg on Saturday to catch a Bloc Party concert and then remain in Munich for the rest of the month. Gives me time to start up my essays.

No comments: